Capacitors are passive electrical components found in almost all electronics applications. Our range includes over 60,000 different capacitors including aluminium, tantalum, polymer, polyester film and ceramic capacitors. We source from globally renowned manufacturers AVX, Murata, KEMET, Panasonic, TDK and many more, so that you can rely on performance....
What is a capacitor and what does it do?
A capacitor is a device used to store energy as an electric charge, similar to a battery but they are able to release the charge much faster. The amount it's able to store is known as capacitance, this is measured in Farads (F). They comprise 2 metal plates (conductors) separated by an electrical insulator (dielectric).
What capacitor types are available?
There are many different types available with detailed specifications for their required function. The main elements are available in varying materials and these determine many properties of the capacitor. Some factors to consider are:
- Metal plate material - e.g silver, tantalum, aluminium
- Dielectric plate material - paper, film, ceramic, glass
- Max voltage - cannot be exceeded or the device will break
- Size - capacitance and dimensions
- Tolerance - variance on the capacitance value
- Mounting type - how it is fixed to the circuit
- ESR (Equivalent series resistance) - resistance of the terminals
Applications of capacitors
Capacitors are found all around us, they are used in most electronics from fans to hybrid electric cars - there are over 500 just in a typical smartphone. Here are some of their uses:
- Decoupling capacitors - can control high-frequency noise, removing voltage ripples from the power supply.
- Energy storage and supply - deliver stored energy bursts quickly, like a camera flash for example.
- Signal filtering - they are able to block low-frequency signals and allow higher-frequencies to pass through. Useful in telecommunications.
Shop 14076 products
Shop 29 products
Shop 56 products
Shop 160 products
Shop 7517 products
Shop 179 products
MLCCs - Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors
Shop 12298 products
Multilayer Organic Capacitors
Shop 6 products
Niobium Oxide Capacitors
Shop 25 products
Polyester Film Capacitors
Shop 9 products
Shop 2610 products
Power Factor Correction Capacitors
Shop 177 products
Single Layer Ceramic Capacitors
Shop 682 products
Shop 524 products
Shop 2562 products
Variable Trimmer Capacitors
Shop 26 products